Friday, August 6, 2010

A Little Bit Country: Decorating Like a Parisian

If you were to go by the book, Entre Nous: A Woman’s Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl and author Debra Ollivier's classifications of the different types of French style for decorating around home, I suppose I might be "The Provincial Girl." She is a girl who prefers authentic, natural items to store-bought ones. Her down-home style is peppered with baskets, handmade pottery, and dried flowers just picked from the garden. So when I went to the beach on Wednesday, I picked up little bits of broken shells - along with smooth, tiny ocean-tumbled white stones - and when I got home, I placed them with the petals a rose that I "pinched" from a neighbor's garden.
The white roses are from my garden. It's good to cut a few blooms off a rose bush to encourage the growth of more flowers. I water my neighbor's flowers when she's away, and she waters mine.
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock-n-roll with my blue nail polish. The color is called THE WORLD'S COOLEST by Essence, a German brand. If you think it's not a color that Paris girls would wear, wrong! I was reading a blog where the writer posted about this robin's egg blue color nail polish. "The fun, bright color will fittingly welcome the warmer temps while offering your nails a unique allure. I snapped the picture above seconds ago on the Paris metro, BeyoncĂ© rocked the color with flair in her Why Don’t You Love Me? video, and Jessica Alba has worn the color on many the red carpet." Rock on, until Paris ...