Wednesday, February 15, 2012

/ˈjeməˌnī/ Gemini Photo Shoot

gem·i·ni /ˈjeməˌnī/
The third sign of the Zodiac, which the sun enters May 21 - June 20
A northern constellation (the Twins), said to represent the mythological twins Castor and Pollux.
Characteristics: Positive. expressive, extrovert. Thought, intellect, ideas, interaction.
Element: Air.


Remember me? Fashion scribe extraordinaire?  I would apologise for my blogging hiatus if I thought more people had noticed. Let's just say I blame travelling [Cambodia!], Christmas, New Year's, and Game Of Thrones [I read all first 4 books in 2 months. I should probably keep that little tidbit to myself.]


Anyhoo, let me tell you about a most fantastical photo shoot I did recently. I collaborated with my [utterly photogenic] friend Li Meng for her amazing food blog,  Bakker's Bites 1 year anniversary. I would play the part of intrepid photographer, she the model, and we'd shoot across various locations in Hong Kong.  We agreed to shoot some photos with a food related theme, and some in a more whimsical fashion [clearly my idea was the latter, my inspiration being Tim Walker one of my favorite photographers.] Due to time [and budget] constraints, we had to be resourceful with accessories. So I chose a mask/ Gemini theme, along with some other quirky accessories.  The masks were a general comment on the duality of most people's nature, just like the star sign embodies: The civilised veneer of normality and poise of what we show most people often belies our true nature. So, which of these opposing photos shows the subject's true nature?  












I have to say, shooting guerrilla style all over my home city with just the two of us was giddy fun. Blissfully indifferent to the strange stares we got at times, we hauled fake lashes, food props, masks and balloons with us on our creative journey. And boy were those helium balloons fun to have after the shoot was over!




The dauntless food blogger goes forth







The classical myth is said to demonstrate the mutual reliance of conscious reasoning and unconscious belief to indicate "acute polarisation of the spiritual and material, alternation between the extremes of rational logic and instinctive belief, and the quest to reconcile all contradictions in a central threshold where reason and belief, intellect and emotion, masculinity and femininity, merge into one".Source: [Wikipedia]



Is that the hint of a smile on her lips?


This photo is dying for a cheeky quip on original sin.
 I briefly researched the greek mythology behind the Gemini Zodiac sign. For those interested [I literally lifted this from Wikipedia]:


The ancient Greek tale of the egg-born brothers Castor and Pollux, born to their mother Leda after she was seduced by Zeus in the guise of a swan. Their consummation, on the same night as Leda lay with her husband, Sparta's King Tyndareus resulted in the birth of immortal Pollux, who possessed great physical strength, and mortal Castor who possessed great ingenuity. Upon Castor's death Pollux begged Zeus to let him share his own immortality with his twin to keep them together and they were transformed into the Gemini constellation.


...Juan Eduardo Cirlot also reports that the Gemini motif is essentially a symbol of opposites, inversions and alternating contradictions between life and death and positives and negatives. Cirlot points out that a study of the Gemini-myth in megalithic culture shows that it has two tendencies: "one white and the other black; one creates, the other destroys; both these characteristics are indicated by the arms of each of the Twins, which in landscape symbolism are identical with the river of youth and the river of death".[9]
They represent the months that join the seasons and signify a dualistic nature that is easily adaptable and can be one thing or another. For this reason the mutable signs are referred to as 'common' signs in traditional terminology.[7]


And I couldn't help throwing in a .gif:







Hope you like it!
xxx