Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hong Kong Fashion Week 2011


In my new job as a buyer, I was lucky enough to squeeze in an attendance to Hong Kong fashion week. A whirlwind of trade shows, fashion shows, eclectic cosmopolitans searching for the next shoe/dress/ handbag, it was a very fun couple of days.
















Here is a fur fashion show that showcased the work of several fur suppliers. Vegans, vegetarians, aspiring zoologists, and any form of animal lover nefarious or saintly shield your eyes now; being Hong Kong, China, PETA apparently had bigger issues to worry about than storming this show with their usual paint-filled fur protests. It's not normally my cup of tea, but I chanced upon this show as I was wandering around.







As usual I didn't hesitate to take snapshots of any outfits/ accessories that I thought were eye-catching. I love the preppy, boyish style above, especially the leather briefcase a la Alexa Chung.
I saw this girl at fashion week, noting the cropped harem-style jeans and bright orange high tops with a mix of curiosity and awe. Just typing those words out one would think these items and 'style' are mutually exclusive, but here she manages to pull it off. Even rocking a canadian tuxedo in the process. How very Fresh Prince of Belair! Will Smith would be proud. Fashion kudos to you, unknown-stranger-who-I-snapped-from-behind-which-I-just-realised-is-slightly-creepy-I-am-so-not-using-hyphens-correctly-am-I. All in the name of style documentation, of course.
LOVE the over-size (another hyphen, I have a sickness!) cable-knit sweater this girl was wearing as I made my way to the fashion week downtown.

Alas, I was not there in a solely glamorous capacity. I was also searching for suppliers for various apparel we were looking to buy. I rather enjoyed seeing what was out there, the newest textiles on the markets, learning about different fabrics and why polyester is the cheap substitute for nylon ("we can make it in polyester and give you half-price"). Finding out the wholesale prices of items I often purchase was equal parts fascinating, amusing, and brutally painful. Don't think I will ever be able to shop properly again! As if my overwhelming fear of shopper's remorse isn't acute enough already, I have to find out that that scarf for [insert common high street brand] is actually around 2 USD at wholesale price?Often the same manufacturer would supply various shops, of varying industry standings, say Debenhams and Walmart. When I wasn't absorbed in product hunting, I was privy to new season collections to some of my favorite labels like Topshop, that had not even arrived in stores yet. THAT, was cool. There were several trend forecaster companies there too who warranted a bit more of my time than was necessary, just to flick through their various catalogues. Sigh. Good times.

See that pink faux-fur lined cape above? I had to fight the urge to ask for random samples for stuff we weren't there to find.



Can't wait until S/S 2012. If like me, you suddenly had a yearning for some Fresh Prince, enjoy. Style inspiration and references can come from anywhere.

xx